Your Checklist for Comparing Retirement Communities in Roanoke
Starting your next chapter in senior living is exciting, but you may feel overwhelmed by the number of choices available. After all, deciding which community you want to enjoy during the best years of your life is a big decision, and you want to choose the right one with confidence.
Taking multiple tours and comparing senior living communities before you decide allows you to find the best fit for your needs, preferences, and lifestyle. Whether you’ve already taken a tour or have one planned, use this checklist to help you make an informed decision about choosing the ideal retirement community.
Choosing the right floor plan is an essential part of finding a home that perfectly fits your lifestyle.
A well-designed floor plan can enhance your senior living experience and make day-to-day life more comfortable.
- Multiple floor plans to match your lifestyle
- Residences featuring ample natural light
- Ability to personalize and decorate your residence
- Generous closet space and storage
- Interior and exterior maintenance included
- Housekeeping services included
- Pet-friendly policy
- Safety features in residences, including emergency response and security
By carefully evaluating the atmosphere and choosing a community that aligns with your lifestyle, you can find one that encourages you to be yourself, pursue your passions, and be yourself.
- You find the community atmosphere attractive and homelike
- You received a warm greeting from team members welcoming you to the community
- Team members provide hospitality throughout the community
- Team members are well trained and undergoes background checks
- The community suits your lifestyle and values
- Residents have a voice in community, activities, events and more
- Residents seem happy, and you would like it if they were neighbors
- Residents are gathered in common areas and participating in activities
- Residents and team members have positive interactions
A community that’s well-maintained on the outside typically suggests the management and maintenance teams take pride in their roles, and care about creating a positive living environment for all residents.
- Well-designed community layout
- Beautiful and well-maintained landscaping
- Clean community, free of odors
- All amenities in working order
- Well-maintained walking paths and green spaces to enjoy
- Adequate parking for residents and visitors
- Private event space for small celebrations
The location of a retirement community can significantly affect your senior living experience. It’s important to consider the people, places, and experiences that mean the most to you, and how close you’d like them to be.
- You like the location and its climate
- The outside environment is safe, quiet and peaceful
- You have convenient access to the surrounding area
- There are desirable conveniences and attractions nearby
- You have easy access to an airport
- There are nearby parks and other natural spaces
- The community is close to friends, family and physicians
Services and Amenities
Services and amenities can enhance the convenience and enjoyment of daily life, and choosing a community that offers options that align with your interests can enrich your retirement and help you meet like-minded people.
- Activities, services and amenities pertaining to your interests
- Conspicuously posted schedule of events and activities
- Abundant social opportunities
- Wellness, nutrition and fitness programs
- Services and amenities that promote healthy aging
- Well-equipped fitness center
- Motivating group exercise classes
- Active encouragement for residents to attend events and activities
- Dedicated areas for creative arts and games
- Scheduled transportation for medical appointments and errands
- Opportunities and encouragement for volunteering in the surrounding community, with a variety of programs offered
Culinary services that suit a variety of tastes, while also offering menu items that encourage residents to try new foods, is a wonderful way to bring people together. Excellent culinary services are also a great way to find healthy food that caters to special dietary needs and tastes good, too.
- Flexible dining options
- Ability to choose preferred mealtimes
- Restaurant-style dining venues that look and smell inviting
- Meals made with fresh ingredients and look appetizing
- Variety of menu items to appeal to different tastes
- Dining room tables, chairs, and linens clean and in good condition
- Ability to invite guests for meals
- Accommodations for special diets
- Floor plans featuring kitchens or kitchenettes to prepare meals at home
- Meal shared with current residents offered on your tour
Choosing a senior living community with high-quality health services is important to ensure you receive the care and support you need to maintain your health and quality of life as you age. It can also provide peace of mind for you and your family, knowing you’ll always be in a safe and supportive environment.
- Priority access to on-site health services
- Nurses on staff
- High staff-to-resident ratio in higher levels of care
- Friendly, experienced and expertly trained caregivers
- Rehabilitation therapies
- Written plan of care for each resident
Levels of Care
A continuum of care can help you maintain an independent lifestyle for longer. Even if you can happily live many years in Independent Living with no health problems, knowing there are higher levels of care available on-site means you’ll have a plan and peace of mind for the future, no matter what amount of care you may someday need. At The Glebe, we offer these levels of care:
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
- Skilled Nursing
- Senior Rehabilitation
Questions to Ask About Contracts and Finances
It’s important to ask communities questions about their contract options and pricing to determine which one is most affordable. Knowing the cost of a retirement community allows you to plan your finances, so you can worry less about the future and focus more on making the most of your retirement.
- What are your contract options? Do you offer Life Care?
- How much is the entrance fee? Is it within your budget?
- Is a portion of the entrance fee refundable?
- How much are fees for a second person living in the same residence?
- What’s included in the monthly fee?
- Under what circumstances might the fees change?
- Are there different costs for various levels or categories of services?
- Is there a procedure to pay for additional services?
- Is there a waitlist?
- Is there a move-out policy?
Discover a Senior Living Community that Checks All the Boxes
Our senior living community in Daleville, VA, is a place where vibrant living comes naturally, there’s always something to do and people are happy to see you. Contact our retirement counselors online to book a tour and discover the incredible benefits of Blue Ridge Living at The Glebe.