Volunteer opportunities make a positive impact in the community
Residents share skills and experiences for good causes
The benefits of volunteering go far beyond the personal satisfaction of a job well done. Research proves that sharing your skills and experience for good causes can improve your overall happiness and mental well-being. Volunteering enriches a sense of purpose and often helps people feel healthier as a result. There are many opportunities to volunteer and add to the community life of The Glebe as well as to that of the surrounding communities. Residents of The Glebe exceed the national average in volunteerism and enjoy finding ways to volunteer and use their skills and experiences to make a positive impact in the community that include:
- The Glebe Residents’ Council — A resident-led volunteer organization to support community life, which invites participation in volunteering opportunities with: the Residents Council Officers, Thrift Shop, Bridge Players, Games, Genealogy, Investment Forum, Library, Movies and Welcome and Hospitality.
- Caring Ministries — Residents care for each other in so many ways. The Caring Ministries is another way to connect and comfort someone who is in need of encouragement.
- Relay for Life — Every year Glebe residents participate in this national drive to fight cancer. As we walk to remember those who have fought and survived this dreaded disease, fellow residents, family, and friends are united in a sense of appreciation for life.
- The Annual Putt-Putt Tournament — This signature event features a highly competitive game of putt-putt golf played in wheelchairs to benefit the LifeSpire of Virginia Foundation, which helps residents who need financial assistance.
- Guitars for Vets — We have partnered with this organization whose mission is to enhance the lives of injured and ailing veterans through the healing power of music. The purpose is to provide positive social interaction, an avenue of self-expression, build focus and confidence, and create bonds of fellowship with other like-minded veterans.
- Intergenerational Programs — The Glebe partners with a local middle school to bring young students and residents together in learning from each other by sharing experiences from then and now.
- Woodshop — If your interest is in making things for others, The Glebe has a group of residents who use their skills in woodworking to serve others.
- Crafts and Caring — The craft group uses their skills to make items for our troops overseas, dolls for needy children, and crafts to sell for worthy causes.
Call (540) 339-7470 today to learn more.